Actions and Detail Panel
“Rat Poison or Pest Control?” Workshop for Practice Nurses and Healthcare A...
Mon 5 June 2017, 10:00 – 16:00 BST
The Course Aim:
Suitable for all health professionals who work with warfarinised patients. This session aims to help resolve (some of) the mixed messages relating to consistent lifestyles in these patients.
By the end of the session participants will have a clearer understanding of:
The “science” behind warfarin
How the newer anticoagulants fit into the picture (at present)
The “art” behind warfarin – and how to convey that to patients
How not to panic with such a dangerous drug!
Conveying clear messages associated with warfarin for patients – without confusing them or making them despair
• The “rat poison”: Warfarin – its mode of action and role in modern medicine
• The increasing use of warfarin in an ageing population
• The newer anticoagulants
• “Don’t panic, Mr Mainwaring!”: Monitoring and dose changes
• “Please fill the gap:……………..interferes with…………….” (using the words; life, warfarin)
• Near Patient Testing
• “We’re all doomed!”: helping patients to understand
• “Doh! I’m confused.com!”: Giving clear advice