Actions and Detail Panel
Reclaim Your Life Quickly: Resilience through the Human Givens approach
Sat 25 March 2017, 09:30 – 17:30 GMT
Who can attend?
The Human Givens approach can be applied to improve both our personal and business lives. Whether you are currently feeling 'stuck' within your personal, business or career life, or simply wishing to learn and add another tool to your range of personal or business solutions, then you will find this programme useful.
Therefore this course is open to attendance for anyone wishing to activate some fast, positive change within their personal lives, careers, or businesses.
What are the Human Givens?
The Human Givens is a practical philosophy to life. The Human Givens approach to counselling builds on this using common sense, and simple, straightforward language.
The organising idea:
The ‘Human Givens’ are those physical and emotional evolutionary needs that nature expects us to have met in order to be at our peak of human performance. In order to ‘get those needs met’ nature gives (or provides) us with a set of accessible resources. These resources can be added to by any new acquired experience or skill we develop. Our effectiveness or emotional health is a measure of how well our needs are being met.
Human needs include:
- security (stable home and work);
- connection to others through friendship and joint objectives;
- belonging to a wider community;
- status and self-esteem (that comes through learning and the competent application of skills);
- a sense of autonomy;
- attention (to give and receive it)
- meaning and purpose in life
- a sense of achievement
Human resources include:
- long-term memory and learning;
- imagination (which enables the human to focus either to the best, or worst of our abilities, affecting our ability to objectively ‘problem solve’);
- the ability to use metaphor and stories to learn,
- the ability to pattern match (essential for effective learning and application of new skills – poor patterning is frequently the reason people underperform);
- the capacity for empathy;
- an observing self (to stand back from our emotions);
- a dreaming brain;
- a rational mind that can check our emotions, and make good decisions.
Consequences of not getting our needs met:
If our innate emotional needs are not being well met, for whatever reason, or our resources are being used incorrectly, we can suffer considerable emotional distress – and so can those around us! This can manifest itself in what is commonly known as stress, anxiety or depression and lead to other distressing outcomes such as anger and addiction.
Once we have an acceptance that a need is not being met, a desire then to address that deficit is needed. HG counselling is designed to help the individual re-access their forgotten or misused resources and where necessary build new resources, to get their needs met.
About the workshop:
1 - You will be taught about the Human Givens approach and learn in more detail about the 'Needs' and 'Resources' and how a needs deficit can affect you life and work
2 - You will take an Emotional Needs Audit and discover where you will need to focus in order to improve your situation or wellbeing
3 - You will learn how to apply the Human Givens approach and deploy your resources in order to address areas of concern for you and others
4 - You will take part in practical exercises that demonstrate how the approach works
5 - You will leave with solutions, as well as focuses for continued improvement
Keith and Emma are qualified Coaches, Counsellors, Psychologists and experienced Senior Managers, Business Owners and Trainers.
If you have any questions, please contact us on : 07791 520388