Recruitment and retention of talent is a key issue for any bar or restaurant owner. As former head of management development and subsequently MD of Pitcher and Piano before the company was bought out in 1999, Stephen has spent the last fifteen years working with some of the UK's most successful operators developing their management training schemes.
In this 45 minute presentation Stephen will share his experiences of what Employees are really looking for in their employment and how top operators successfully recruit and retain talent within their business.
As a taster Stephen proposes that successful businesses are ahead of the competition in the following key areas:
• Knowing the competences to recruit for
• Debriefing three shifts a week
• Monthly 10-minute performance reviews
• Actively managing the top third – the high competence high commitment layer
• Inducting with questions not reasons
• Belief in human motive…. but be quick to fire wrong attitude.
• Minimum HR intervention
• Team reward
• Building an understanding of the behaviours that drive management success and a commitment to embedding these deep into the organisation’s way of working
• Sow seeds of ideas rather than grand sweeping initiatives
• Tough on the performance easy on the person – creates trust and security.