To mark the centenary of Giorgio Bassani’s birth, the Italian Cultural Institute in collaboration with the British Library is organising a three-day conference on his life and work, with contributions from leading academics, writers and translators.
The conference, which also includes screenings of films adapted from Bassani’s works, will be held at the Italian Cultural Institute and at the British Library on Thursday 29 September, Monday 3 October and Tuesday 4 October 2016.
Tuesday 4 October – Italian Cultural Institute
- 10.00 Welcome by Marco Delogu, Director, Italian Cultural Institute, and Paola Bassani, President of “Fondazione Giorgio Bassani”
- 10.15 “Time in Bassani, Bassani’s times” – Giulio Ferroni, literary critic and historian
- 11.00 Break
- 11.15 “Inside the Stories – A genetic investigation” – Prof. Paola Italia, Universita’ La Sapienza, Rome
- 12.00 Break
- 12.15 “In memory of my friend Giorgio” – Alain Elkann, writer and journalist
- 13.00 Lunch
- 15.00 Screening of Long Night in 1943 (Florestano Vancini, 1960)
- 17.00 “Bassani on screen” – Prof. Stephen Gundle, University of Warwick
- 17.30 Break
- 17.45 Screening of The Gold Rimmed Glasses (Giuliano Montaldo, 1987) followed by Q&A
- 20.00 Closing remarks