Research Data Management Storage Requirements Workshop
Monday, 25 February 2013 from 09:30 to 16:30 (GMT)
Jisc, Janet and the Digital Curation Centre (DCC) are anxious to support universities with cost effective services for research data management. An important step is to develop a better understanding of institutions storage requirements, of how institutions are planning to meet these requirements, what products may be available and to what extent these solutions meet the specific needs of university-based research data management.
The aim of this workshop is to develop a better understanding 1) of universities’ requirements for research data storage; 2) of suppliers’ offers; 3) developing a shared understanding of any gaps which may exist.
The workshop is intended to comprise three activities:
- Presentations from projects/institutions to provide a state of the art view of universities’ requirements for storage services.
- Workshop exercises to summarise and collate these accounts into a coherent view.
- Workshop exercises, including input from suppliers, to develop a view of solutions available, identify good fits and gaps in requirements and offerings, and to identify value proposition: what do the suppliers need to do to make an offer which is of sufficient value to universities?
Outputs will include:
- A workshop report, providing a summary of universities’ storage requirements and an overview of the type of products currently available from suppliers.
- Networking, building of contacts.
- Better knowledge among participants and the broader sector of requirements and products.
- Improved supplier knowledge of requirements and potentially improved tailoring of products to universities’ needs.
|09.30-10.00||Arrivals, registration, coffee.|
Four-five institutional presentations, including break.
Tom Parsons, University of Nottingham
Ian Stewart and Simon Price, University of Bristol
Bill Worthington, University of Hertfordshire
James Wilson, University of Oxford
Brian Clifford, University of Leeds
|13.30-14.30||Group work to summarise institutional needs.|
|15.00-16.15||Workshop, group sessions analysing how need might be met, involving suppliers.|
|16.15-16.30||Report back and wrap up.|
See above for location information and here for specific directions to the venue.