The past two years have been tumultuous ones, with unprecedented numbers of refugees entering the region, coupled with further austerity measures and the recent Brexit vote. There is a lot of anxiety surrounding immigration and refugees. In this Conference we will share our experience of refugee resettlement and reintegration. This is also part of the wider concern about the inequalities of opportunity which are so prevalent in this city. Presentations and discussions will cover the untapped economic potential of the refugee asset within the region, and the value refugees bring to our communities.
Warm words are not enough. We need practical actions here in Bristol now, and we think our combination of understanding, experience and technical knowledge allows us to make a unique contribution.
Some of the points we will address will be:
- Challenging the myths that refugees are only a liability and burden on host communities.
- How can we achieve early labour market integration for refugees to facilitate early transitioning from emergency relief to long-term reintegration?
- In a world with increasing pressures on limited public resources, how can Refugee Community Organisations make the case for funding and investment?
- How can we deliver 'Collective Impact'?
- What role entrepreneurship plays in resettlement and what barriers refugees face in starting their own business?
By attempting to understand the best ways to resettle refugees we hope to generate new ideas which can turn current humanitarian challenges into sustainable opportunities.
The agenda will include Keynote speakers from Ashley Community Housing and key partner organisations.