Actions and Detail Panel
Rethinking the Economics of Land & Housing with Ann Pettifor & John Muellba...
Tue 28 March 2017, 18:00 – 20:00 BST
Why are house prices in many advanced economies rising faster than incomes? Why isn’t land and location taught or seen as important in modern economics? What is the relationship between the financial system and land?
Join us for the launch of ‘Rethinking the Economics of Land and Housing’ – a provocative new guide to the economics of land and housing published by Zed Books in association with the New Economics Foundation.
In the book the authors reveal how many of the key challenges facing modern economies – including housing crises, financial instability and growing inequalities – are intimately tied to the land economy. Looking at the ways in which discussions of land have been routinely excluded from both housing policy and economic theory, the authors show that in order to tackle these increasingly pressing issues a major rethink by both politicians and economists is required.
The authors will be joined by leading economists Ann Pettifor and Professor John Muellbauer, alongside Allana Yurko of Rethinking Economics, for what promises to be a thought provoking and stimulating evening.
- Ann Pettifor, Director at Policy Research in Macroeconomics (PRIME)
- John Muellbauer, Senior Fellow of the Institute for New Economic Thinking at the Oxford Martin School, Oxford University
- Josh Ryan-Collins, co-author and Senior Economist at the New Economics Foundation
- Toby Lloyd, co-author and Head of Housing Development at Shelter
- Laurie Macfarlane, co-author and Economist at the New Economics Foundation
- Allana Yurko, Rethinking Economics
With thanks to the SOAS Open Economics Forum for their support in organising this event.
Date and Time
Khalili Lecture Theatre
SOAS, University of London
10 Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square