Actions and Detail Panel
RIBA London (Aldwych) - Fees: how to best calculate, negotiate and monitor
Thu 6 April 2017, 10:00 – 12:30 BST
This seminar will explain how to put a fee proposal together, the basic principles of fee management, as well as providing guidance on how to monitor resources within the practice. The seminar will also elaborate on context of the RIBA appointment documents, and the importance of regular invoicing.
This comprehensive session will cover:
Different procurement routes and clients including traditional, D&B and Term commissions
Fee calculation; how to put an effective proposal together, and what to include
Negotiation; the different fee tendering scenarios and how to qualify the bid
Appointment; the context of the RIBA suite of appointment documents and how to deal with clients own bespoke documents
Resourcing and time management; how to monitor resources simply but effectively, and the use of digital and other resources
How to work out a charge out rate, calculation of overheads, including staff/fixed costs
Monitoring and managing the project fee, invoice points, using the RIBA plan of Work 2013
Using case studies and worked examples the speaker will explain how these techniques can be applied. There will be interactive sessions and opportunities for you to ask questions and share experiences.
Speaker: Peter Farrall, University of Liverpool
Peter is an architect with 25 years’ experience as a partner at a multidisciplinary firm of architects and quantity surveyors, Design Group Chester. In 2015 he became a full time member of the academic staff at Liverpool University, School of Architecture, where he is responsible for running the fourth year of the MArch programme. Peter has worked for Costain Construction as a Site Engineer, as well as practicing as an architect at KKA and Austin Smith Lord. He is closely involved with the RIBA, President Emeritus of the Liverpool Architectural Society, and has served on National Council.
Core Curriculum topics: 1. External management 2. Internal management
Terms & Conditions
- Cancellations for pay-as-you-go tickets are permitted up to 10 working days before the event, delegate substitutions are accepted at any time, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for cancellation/substitution requests.
- An email will be sent to confirm your place on receipt of your booking. A second email confirming venue along with map/directions will be sent to you approx. 7-10 days before the event.
- Bookings at the member rates will only be accepted if accompanied by a valid membership number.
- If you require a purchase order to be quoted on your invoice this must be supplied at the time of booking.
- † Club Tickets purchased by individual members are not transferable to other delegates.
- †† Club Tickets purchased by chartered practices are transferable within the practice and can be used by any RIBA member in the practice.
- A photographer may cover this event and the photographs may be used to publicise future RIBA events.