Actions and Detail Panel
RIBA South West (Bath) - Fees: how to best calculate, negotiate and monitor
Tue 21 February 2017, 14:00 – 16:30 GMT
This seminar will explain how to put a fee proposal together, the basic principles of fee management, as well as providing guidance on how to monitor resources within the practice. The seminar will also elaborate on context of the RIBA appointment documents, and the importance of regular invoicing.
This comprehensive session will cover:
Different procurement routes and clients including traditional, D&B and Term commissions
Fee calculation; how to put an effective proposal together, and what to include
Negotiation; the different fee tendering scenarios and how to qualify the bid
Appointment; the context of the RIBA suite of appointment documents and how to deal with clients own bespoke documents
Resourcing and time management; how to monitor resources simply but effectively, and the use of digital and other resources
How to work out a charge out rate, calculation of overheads, including staff/fixed costs
Monitoring and managing the project fee, invoice points, using the RIBA plan of Work 2013
Using case studies and worked examples the speaker will explain how these techniques can be applied. There will be interactive sessions and opportunities for you to ask questions and share experiences.
Speaker: Stephen Brookhouse, University of Westminster
Stephen is Professor of Professional Practice in Architecture at the University of Westminster. He is course leader for Part 3 and leads postgraduate teaching in practice, management and law. A chartered architect with over 25 years' experience in practice, he lectures widely on the profession. His publications include the bestselling 'Part 3 Handbook' and 'Professional Studies in Architecture'. He is editor and contributor to a new series of books on practical skills for architects due for publication in 2017.
Core Curriculum topics: 1. External management 2. Internal management
Terms & Conditions
- Cancellations for pay-as-you-go tickets are permitted up to 10 working days before the event, delegate substitutions are accepted at any time, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for cancellation/substitution requests.
- An email will be sent to confirm your place on receipt of your booking. A second email confirming venue along with map/directions will be sent to you approx. 7-10 days before the event.
- Bookings at the member rates will only be accepted if accompanied by a valid membership number.
- If you require a purchase order to be quoted on your invoice this must be supplied at the time of booking.
- A photographer may cover this event and the photographs may be used to publicise future RIBA events.