Actions and Detail Panel
RLSS NPLQ Lifeguard Course
Mon, 21 Aug 2017, 08:30 – Sat, 26 Aug 2017, 14:30 BST
The course syllabus is split into three sections:
- Section 1 - The Lifeguard, Swimming Pool and Supervision
- Section 2 - Intervention, Rescue and Emergency Action Plan
- Section 3 - Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, First Aid and AED
The course will include continual assessment of understanding of the syllabus and practical skills. Candidates must demonstrate competence in all aspects of the syllabus to be put forward to the end of course assessment, taken by an independent assessor. Any candidates who fail to pass all elements of the assessment will have 28 days to retake failed elements. Further fees will be chargeable for any additional support, training and assessments.
This course is a minimum of 37.5 hours plus assessment and attendance at all sessions is compulsory. The course will be delivered using a variety of methods including:
- PowerPoint Presentations
- Flip Chart Exercises
- Guided Group Discussions
- Guided Group Activities
- Practical Demonstrations and Training
Following the assessment, the NPLQ qualification will remain valid for 2 years. You can then retake the assessment providing that you have attended regular staff training in the workplace during the 2 year period.
NPLQ Course Entry Requirements
Prior to enrolling on a course, the RLSS requires that you meet the following criteria:
- Jump or dive into deep water
- Swim 50m in under 60 seconds
- Swim 100m continuously on your front, followed by 100m on your back
- Tread water for 30 seconds
- Surface dive to the deepest part of the pool
- Climb out of the pool unaided
- You must be 16 years or over on the day of the assessment (Usually the last day of the course).
Please note that you will be required to bring the following:
- Photographic proof of your identity on the first day of the course
- A Whistle
- Swimming Costume
- Shorts and T-Shirt to be worn in the water
Some of the days may include water work on more than one occasion and candidates may prefer to bring two sets of towels, shorts and t-shirts.
Copies of Life Leisure's policies are available on request.
Copies of RLSS policies are available from www.rlss.org.uk
The course syllabus and practical skills are continually assessed by the course trainer and a suitable level competence must be achieved to be put forward for a final independent assessment. The assessment will include verbal question and answer sessions, practical demonstrations of water rescue skills, CPR and First Aid.
If you have any questions prior to the start of the course, please feel free to contact us.
Refund policy: Full refunds will only be issued with more than 28 days written notice. Cancellations with 14 to 28 days notice will receive a 50% refund and no refunds will be due for cancellations with less than 14 days notice (except in exceptional circumstances). All refunds will be subject to an administration fee.