Actions and Detail Panel
Safe Practice in Physical Education and School Sport - Teaching Safely, Tea...
Tue 18 October 2016, 08:30 – 15:00 BST
Featuring afPE’s recently published Safe Practice: in Physical Education, School Sport and Physical Activity 2016
Safe Practice in Physical Education and School Sport
Teaching Safely, Teaching Safety
This professional learning course is designed to help staff to feel confident when dealing with health and safety issues in school PE. It aims to reduce the concerns that many staff have about the responsibilities and risks associated with teaching and managing an exciting PE programme, and encourages them to design challenging lessons, and know that they are safe. Part of the day is used to look at a simple approach to risk assessment in PE as recommended by the Association for Physical Education (afPE), and helps staff to consider key elements of a PE policy.
The training will reflect the updates and new additions in the recently published Safe Practice: in Physical Education, Sport and Physical Activity 2016, and delegates will be helped to familiarise themselves with the new publication. Please note that the cost of the course includes a copy of the afPE Safe Practice book.
The style of delivery is through group work, discussion and collaborative activities, designed to put delegates at their ease, and allow them to become conversant with the information whether or not they have any prior knowledge.
Outcomes for the day:
You will become familiar with the latest afPE publication Safe Practice: in Physical Education, Sport and Physical Activity 2016.
- You will have a sound understanding of H & S principles in relation to planning and monitoring school PE and Sport
- You will feel more confident in your teaching in the knowledge that you are applying key
H & S principles
- You will be able to appreciate the importance of knowing and applying policies and procedures in your school, and contribute towards developing these where required
- You will enable students to recognise how they also play a part in taking responsibility for their own safety and ensure the safe inclusion of all pupils
- You will be familiar with an approach to risk assessment in PE and sport in school.
Angela James is the currently the health and safety and safeguarding officer for afPE the PE subject association. afPE offers its members access to health and safety advice and guidance via both phone and email.
Angela is also joint author of afPE’s Safe Practice: in Physical Education, School Sport and Physical Activity 2016.
NB You can utilise your school PE and School Sport Premium funding to pay for this course