The Safe Urban Driving course focuses on vulnerable road users such as pedestrians, cyclist’s and motorcyclists but has a particular focus on cyclists. The course includes a practical ‘on-road’ cycle training element and gives drivers a ‘real life’ experience as to a cyclist’s perspective of riding on London’s roads, as well as in traffic. The training also counts towards the 35 hours DCPC that professional drivers need to complete.
The course consists of two 3.5 hour modules (both delivered on the same day); the first module is classroom based theory, and the second module, an outdoor practical session where drivers get a cyclists view of the road.
Theory Module (3.5 hours)
This part of the course focuses on sharing the road safely and highlights the vulnerability of other road users. It also explains how the London streetscape is evolving to encourage more walking and cycling. Subjects covered include:-
- The driver’s role in the Fleet Operator Recognition Scheme (FORS)
- Urban driving, changing streetscape and route planning
- Vulnerable road users: pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists
- Sharing the road, observation devices and cycle training
- Collision avoidance and defensive driving
- Hazard recognition and perception
- Driver responsibility and attitude
Practical Module (3.5 hours)
After the initial bicycle control skills training, drivers ride on bikes to areas of potential conflict including junctions, traffic lights and Advanced Stop Lines. Subjects covered include:-
- Introducing active travel, driver fitness and health
- Giving drivers a cyclist’s perspective of riding on busy roads and an understanding
of the issues faced by vulnerable road users
- Recognising best driving practice around cyclists
- Practical on road experience at areas of potential driver/cyclist conflict including
junctions, traffic lights and Advanced Stop Lines
IMPORTANT: Any driver attending the SUD course must have their identity checked by a Driver Qualification Card (DQC). This will allow Fleet Source to register the driver onto the Transport for London master SUD database which confirms the driver has attended the course.
If it is found your company is not FORS accredited, you may be billed for attendance at £75.00 + vat.
IMPORTANT - CANCELLATION POLICY: If you need to cancel your place/s on the SUD course, please do so at least 14 WORKING DAYS before your course date to avoid charges. Click here to read the full Cancellation Policy