THIS IS AN ONS EVENT ONLY
- To explore more complex aspects of sampling and estimation that are particularly applicable to social (household) surveys.
By the end of the course, through practical application of the methods, participants will be able to understand:
- the principles and practicalities behind sampling and estimation used within Official Statistics
- when to use different sampling strategies, with particular emphasis on multi-stage sampling
- how sample data can be used to estimate parameters of interest, with emphasis on weighting strategies that account for non-response and allow calibration to known population totals
- how to assess the quality of sample estimates, with attention paid to sampling errors and the use of design factors
Duration: 1 day
Prerequisites: Level 2 – A degree in Mathematics or Statistics, or a good working knowledge of the subject.