Actions and Detail Panel
Schools Day - Swadlincote International Food & Drink Festival
Fri 14 October 2016, 09:30 – 18:00 BST
All schools are welcome to come along to Swadlincote International Food & Drink Festival taking place on Friday 14th October 2016 (event runs 14th—16th October) ahead of World Food Day on Sunday 16th October 2016.
This event is a great way for pupils to get involved and experience different tastes and aromas from across the world, learn about cool facts and the science behind foods and it’s all FREE!
There will be cooking demonstrations, a street trail, interactive activities, craft stalls and lots more.
South Derbyshire District Council, Sainsbury’s, Environmental Education Project, Waste less, Save More Food Saver Champions, Geraud International Markets are all working in partnership to deliver a great event for local schools.
Celebrity James Strawbridge Chef, food entrepreneur and a leading authority on sustainable living will be delivering demo’s throughout the day and giving out food tips along with some of his very own recipe’s to help reduce food waste.
James will be judging the Schools Baking Bonanza and you’ll also find him foraging at Sharpe’s Pottery Museum!
Take your students to Orchard Day at Sharpe’s Pottery Museum where the Environmental Education Team will be running lots of activities. You can pick one of book a group to try them all:
1. Meet celebrity chef James Strawbridge and learn about foraging and making the most of left over fruit using a range of gadgets.
2. Outdoor fruit tasting and juicing session
- Seize the opportunity to encounter a huge variety of fruit all shapes, sizes, colour and – most important – flavour!
- Taste and vote for the best preserves and chutneys made from locally grown fruit.
- Discover the amazing taste of fresh apple juice and have a go at pressing the fruit. Bring your own apples to juice – windfalls are fine!
3. WLSM Fruit-tastic Indoor Session
- Potions and portions: mixing different fruit flavours to find your own favourite and understanding the principles of ‘5 a day’
- Food waste activities: weighing fruit, identifying which parts of the fruit are wasted and how to minimise waste, use fruit gadgets and go on a fruit hunt
The sessions are FREE and the content of both the indoor or sessions can be adapted to suit science, geography, literacy, art – or most other subjects. Just tell us your preferences and the age group you are bringing when you book.
4. Campfire cooking - tasting apples wedges around a campfire
Sainsbury’s Waste less, Save more Food Saver Champions will be testing ideas on ways to help cut food waste.
Waste less, Save more Street Trail, find out facts that will help you cut food waste
Eco Games - Top Trumps, Snakes & Ladders, Twister and Bingo!
See how much surplus food you need to make a juice on the bike
Waste Warriors Competition, highest scoring school and individual prizes to be won!
More prizes to be won, Derbyshire County Council will be running a Baking Bonanza in the Town Hall – which involves registering for a recipe pack to bake a cake that will be judged by James Strawbridge himself and local food businesses! Each school will be provided with a basic ingredients pack.
They will also be delivering lots of other activities including making use up pizza and stir fry, more or less wasted games.
Registration and time slots can be booked below, don’t want to miss out book now!
Town Hall will be open for the schools to access facilities such as toilets and as a meeting point.