Stories are entertaining. They're fun to listen to. They can help speakers make a point. They can help presentations come to life. Story structures also help speakers get their points across in ways that help listeners understand and retain information, because those structures are hard-wired within us.
We know stories work. There are many books and research studies that tell us how and why they work, but none that can help you experience, in real life, how YOU can become a compelling storyteller.
But how do you tell a compelling story? How can you use stories effectively in business presentations?
Giles Abbott and Leon Conrad of The Academy of Oratory can show you!
Giles and Leon are professional storytellers, writers, voice teachers, rhetoricians with over thirty years’ combined experience helping clients with every aspect of communication.
They will help you draw on the power of story to help you structure presentations better, use storytellers' techniques to make listeners sit up and listen. In short, they can help you power up your presentations!
On this course you will learn
- a simple story framework that forms the basis of at least 8 others
- how to play with the framework to make your story come alive
- how to use 3 very different forms of descriptive language to make your story come alive
- how to use story structures to help you deliver from memory, without needing to refer to notes
- how to use patterns of emotion within a story to bring important points to life
- how your acheivements fit into the context of a larger framework of effective communication
In short, you'll find out how to tell a compelling story, and what it feels like to have your listeners go away with a clear, memorable point as a result.
This work works! Grab your chance to win!
When & Where
The Academy of Oratory
About The Academy of Oratory
We help people communicate at their best in any situation.
We help novices increase their confidence.
We help experienced presenters develop their skills further.
We help aspiring leaders to be authoritative, motivational, influential speakers.
Our approach is based on ethical values.
We do what we do not because it is our job, but because we feel it is our vocation.
We believe that effective, ethically based communication is the key to unlocking human potential - individually, in families, in teams and can transform hierarchical organisations for the better, enabling them to be more productive, act more responsibly while creating value for staff and shareholders alike.
At the level at which we work, we see increased empathy, decreased fragmentation, increased engagement.
At The Academy of Oratory, we achieve this by using tried, tested and very practical techniques. Our approach combines the best of classical rhetoric, the power of traditional storytelling and the best of what modern life offers in terms of advances in research and best practice in training.
We get people in touch with their natural voice quality, a quality that is typically rich, resonant, capable of a wide and varied range of expression and a pleasure to listen to.
We help people use words powerfully, and show them how to bring their ideas to life in the minds of their listeners.
We encourage people to bring about positive action through the act of communicating.
We do this - and do it well.
- Group and 1:1 training
- On-site or off-site solutions
- Bespoke training courses
- Voice training
- Presentation skills training
- Public speaking skills training
- Storytelling skills training
- Speechwriting and layout service
- High-end PowerPoint, Keynote and Prezi Presentation design, training and coaching on use in presentations
- Non-linear PowerPoint and Keynote design and training in delivery using non-linear presentation
- Voice Overs
- Training for versatility in accents
- Specialist niche training programmes, eg telephone techniques, sales and negotiation, communication via social confluence, gamestorming facilitation, etc.