Actions and Detail Panel
Scottish Mental Health First Aid
Wed 23 November 2016, 18:00 – 20:00 GMT
Who is the Course Aimed at?
Anyone who is likely to be working with or supporting individuals suffering from mental health issues.
Mental Health First Aid is basically a First Aid course for Mental Health, in the way that a normal First Aid course is for physical health. At the end of this course the delegates should be able to spot common mental health symptoms in others (and themselves), what to do until professional help is available, know about the recovery from mental ill health, know about the links between alcohol and drug abuse and mental health and to understand the importance of good listening skills. More information is available on the SMHFA website http://www.smhfa.com/index.aspx.
By the end of the session participants will know:
- how to apply the 5 steps of SMHFA
- how to respond if you believe someone is at risk of suicide
- how to give immediate help until professional help is available
- what to say and do in a crisis
- the importance of good listening skills, practice listening & responding
- understanding recovery from mental health problems
- understanding the connection between mental health problems and alcohol & drugs