Actions and Detail Panel
Shoot & Edit on an iPhone or iPad, 2 day course: Cardiff
Thu, 29 Jun 2017, 09:45 – Fri, 30 Jun 2017, 16:30 BST
Shoot and Edit on an iPhone: Two Day Course
Tutor Dan Mason
Everyone knows where to find the video button on their iPhone or iPad and capture a simple scene. Taking the next step … creating a professional-looking video that shines online takes a little more skill and confidence. That’s what this hands-on course aims to deliver.
Scores of journalists, PR and marketing professionals have already joined our popular one day course and put their learning to good use in filming interviews and producing short promotion videos and stories for their websites or clients. Now it’s your turn …
The two-day course is made up of a series of practical exercises designed to get you shooting and editing video on your iPhone or iPad with confidence. Step by step, the workshop goes from shooting professional-looking interviews to editing simple but effective stories, understanding the importance of shot composition, clip ‘sequences’, lighting, background and audio.
A PDF ‘toolkit’ will be shared at the end of the second day with links to relevant apps and equipment.
Who should attend:
Journalists, marketing and PR professionals. In fact, anybody with an interest in learning the basics of video-journalism using an iPhone or iPad
Participants will learn how to:
• Use the iOS camera app and iMovie for shooting and editing great-looking video
• Shoot and and edit professional-looking interviews, understanding shot framing, background, audio and lighting. Includes tips for interview and question style
• Create explainer videos using images or clips (valuable for explaining issues in the news or introducing a product or service)
• Approach video storytelling using sequences, combining them with an interview to create a story package
• Plan, shoot and edit a news story including narration, sequences and interviews
• Speak directly to the camera
• Change the mood and pace of your video through audio and clip duration
• Add freeze frames and slow motion to your video
• Add a logo or watermark and share your video on YouTube or elsewhere
• Use handy apps for live streaming
You will need to bring an iPhone 5 or 6 or iPad / iPad Mini.
You MUST have the iMovie app installed (other apps will be downloaded during the course. Please make sure you have access and password for the App Store). Also check your iOS system software is up to date (To check, go to Settings > General > Software Update).
Tripods and mounts will be available (but if you have your own, please bring them).
Keep it in mind that you can get discounts on Apple products as an NUJ member (via the main NUJ website)
We have a cancellation policy of two weeks for this workshop because of the costs associated with running it. If you cancel within this period we will be unable to refund any course fees.
If you are a member of the NUJ and have been made redundant in the last six months, or are facing redundancy you are entitled to two days of training free of charge. Please contact us for more details.