San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Join The Gathering to find how we can influence decisions which shape life in our local community.
Side by Side Edinburgh Northern and Leith Gathering builds on two earlier Open Space community discussion events which identified key issues for quality of life in our area:
Environment, housing, childcare and social care.
How can we influence change? Working together, we can learn from each other. The Gathering aims to celebrate local success stories, share best practice and inspire bold visions for new co-operative developments across Edinburgh Northern and Leith.
The event on 3 December begins with expert speakers sharing facts on housing, environment and co-operative enterprise. After that the day belongs to everyone in the room and workshop discussions will produce actions for a community manifesto for local councillors to take forward to the May 2017 local government elections. Local community enterprises in all sectors are warmly invited to share their stories and the opportunities and challenges they find.
Please find a programme for the day below.
For regular updates and more information please see: www.edinburghlabournorthernandleith.org.uk/community_manifesto
This event is for any individual or group interested in the quality of life in Edinburgh North and Leith. The programme will focus on:
- Celebrating best practice and impact on four key areas which affect the quality of life for every resident. Environment - Housing - Child Care - Social Care
- Listening to ideas and priorities which will make a difference to individuals and groups in the community
- Identifying some practical quick wins and longer term changes we want to see happening
Arrival at 09.30 for registration and refreshments
Welcome and Introduction to Selah Corbin - Cllr Marion Donaldson
Music - Selah Corbin, a cinematic songwriter and multi-instrumentalist
Background and purpose - Cllr Lesley Hinds
Keynote speech - Josh Littlejohn, Social Bite
Introducing Fact Sheets, speakers and group discussion – Judith Chivers
Sharing successes - panel discussion
- Environment – Sarah Beattie-Smith - Shrub Swap and Reuse Hub
- Housing – Keith Anderson - Port of Leith Housing Association
- Child Care – Theresa Alison – North Edinburgh Childcare
- Social Care – Mandy Edmond - Thistle Foundation
Panel review and commitments to follow up
Lunch and further opportunities for looking at display from community groups