This training from Sing Up and Drums for schools will show you how to create transformational whole-class singing and instrumental experiences by building percussion and instrumental tuition into singing sessions and singing into whole-class instrumental sessions.
Who is it for?
This training course is ideal for anyone teaching music in primary schools from primary teachers and music coordinators to visiting staff who deliver whole class ensemble teaching.
Outcomes for teachers:
Singing Leaders will learn:
- how to add stimulating and exciting percussion to any song with a special emphasis on world music.
- techniques to play a wide range of classroom percussion instruments musically and creatively including how to hold the instruments to produce the best sounds and percussion players’ tricks that will enable you to recreate exciting and different sounds from basic class percussion.
- how to layer these up, creating percussion accompaniments to songs that will make dynamic performances.
Whole-class Instrumental Teachers will learn:
- how to integrate singing and songs into their lessons, including warm-ups, breakout activities and develop combined vocal and instrumental performances.
- warm-ups and songs that provide a great basis for creative whole class instrumental lessons.
- tips on getting singing started and improving the sound.
Using this approach will support your pupils to develop:
- improved awareness of the inter-related dimensions of music (musical elements)
- physical motor skills and instrument handling
- performance techniques
- improved listening skills
- better whole class inclusion
- broader musical understanding
- greater social and cultural awareness
Shelly Ambury, Sing Up’s Head of Learning, Charlotte Law, Sing Up's Learning Executive and Andy Gleadhill, Drums for schools
Shelly has vast experience of music and music education: including working for the BBC and Guildhall School of Music and Drama, singing professionally and leading choirs. Over a decade’s experience as a teacher and Head of Music in secondary education.
Charlotte is Sing Up’s Learning Executive. Having gained a Degree in Arts Education, she has built up a wide range of experience as a workshop facilitator, freelance arts animateur, trainer, Primary School Teacher and Music coordinator. She is also an enthusiastic participant in a wide range of activities throughout the arts.
Andy has over 35 years experience as a professional musician playing all over the world. He also has extensive experience as a music educator and as a deliverer of music teacher development working at every level from early years to post graduate and beyond.
Refreshments and lunch will be provided.
£15 Discount available for Sing Up Members.