San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
There’s been a lot of talk about Smart Data of late, but the focus shifts to ‘Smart Content’ at the Digital Editors Network's autumn meetup on 15 October at News UK, 3 Thomas More Street, London.
‘I see Smart Content as Social, Measurable (yes, we do need data), Audience-focussed, Rewarding (for all parties), and Timely,' says François Nel, co-founder of DEN and director of the Journalism Leaders Programme at the University of Central Lancashire, who worked with Lucia Adams, deputy head of Digital for The Times and The Sunday Times, and Nick Turner, head of digital for the CN Group, to convene this event.
To help further define the concept, share lessons learned through practice and to consider the way forward, they’ve invited a variety of media innovators to what is being called #smartDEN. John Witherow, acting editor of The Times, will welcome participants and presenters, including:
- Dan Owen, executive editor: digital for Trinity Mirror, North Wales and Cheshire
- Julia Hutchinson, head of content for the global marketing solutions business Group FMG, whose clients include Net-A-Porter, Associated Newspapers, Asda, John Lewis & IBM
- Lucia Adams, deputy head of digital for The Times and The Sunday Times
- Ola Henriksson, project manager of the pioneering SvD.se (Svenska Dagbladet, Sweden)
- Mary Beth Christie, online product management director at Financial Times (FT.com)
- Alison Gow, editor of Daily Post, Wales, site of Trinity Mirror’s Newsroom 3.0 pilot
- Joe Alicata, principal product owner of the real-time data analytics tool, Chartbeat (formerly head of ESPN.com)
- Kevin Delaney, editor in chief and co-founder of Quartz, which describes itself as ‘a digitally native news outlet, born in 2012, for business people in the new global economy”
- Tom Whitwell, head of digital for The Times and The Sunday Times, London
The programme will run from 2pm to 6pm on the 13th Floor of NewsUK’s offices near Tower Bridge, where the great views are sure to provide a suitable backdrop for the lively discussions and networking reception that will follow until 7:30pm. Participants are also invited to link up for lunch before and dinner afterwards. There is no charge for DEN meetups, though donations are invited to cover expenses.
Additional presenters to be confirmed. And, as always, suggestions for speakers and sponsorship or exhibitors are welcome.
Since 2007, the Digital Editors Network has worked to link media innovators, whether they work inside, outside or alongside mainstream media organisations. You can connect with DEN by liking our Facebook page, joining our Linkedin group, following us on Twitter @DENupdates or our blog .
If you'd like to contribute ideas, speak, host, sponsor or collaborate on a future DEN meetup or workshop, contact the convenors François Nel at FPNel @ uclan.ac.uk, Nick Turner at nick.turner @ cumbrian-newspapers.co.uk , or Lucia Adams at lucia.adams @ news.co.uk .
When & Where
Digital Editors Network
Connecting innovators inside, outside and alongside mainstream news media since 2007.