Actions and Detail Panel
South West Wellbeing Network: Assertiveness for Improved Wellbeing
Thu 20 October 2016, 18:00 – 20:00 BST
6 – 6.30pm Pre-event registration, networking and refreshments
6.30 – 7pm Improve your Wellbeing by Being Assertive
Clients often come to me feeling stressed or anxious or maybe because they are having trouble dealing with a situation. Listening to their stories it frequently becomes apparent that they are behaving passively, or sometimes even aggressively, instead of being assertive.
If you don't know how to be assertive, you may experience:
• Depression: a sense of feeling helpless with no control over your life.
• Resentment: anger at others for taking advantage of you.
• Frustration: why did I let that happen?
• Temper: if you can't express anger appropriately it can build up to temper outbursts.
• Anxiety: you may avoid certain situations which make you feel uncomfortable and you may therefore miss out on activities, job opportunities etc.
• Relationship difficulties: it can be difficult in relationships when individuals can't tell each other what they want and need or how the other person affects them.
• Stress-related problems: stress can have a negative impact on the body, and assertiveness can be a good way of managing stress.
In this interactive session we will discuss passive, aggressive and assertive behaviours and Jane will share with you some key tips for being assertive.
About the Speaker – after many years working in Learning and Development and Human Resources in both the public and private sector, Jane Downer now runs her own business, Lead Natural, which provides coaching, training and team development. In addition to being a Chartered member of the CIPD, Jane is also a qualified Executive, Business and Life Coach.
7.00 – 7.20pm Break and Networking
7.20 – 7.50pm Practical Applications: some useful tips
7.50pm Wrap-up and close
If you have any questions about the event, please email/call Aleigh on firstname.lastname@example.org 07791 562347.
This event is free to CIPD members and £5 for non-members. If you reserve a place and either do not attend or have not cancelled your place at least 48 hours before the event start time, you will be invoiced £10. This is due to the high number of no shows or very late cancellations which have led to excessive food waste and unnecessary cost incurred. Thank you for your understanding.