Complimentary refreshments and sandwiches from 18:00.
OMG is just about to release 1.0 of the DMN spec. This is the Decision Model and Notation that complements the Business Process Model and Notation that most folks in SPA will know and maybe use as BPMN. DMN is a joint effort from methodologists such as Prof Jan Vanthienen (decision table methodology), Larry Goldberg / Barbara von Halle (The Decision Model), and Dr Alan Fish (FICO), and technologists from the likes of Oracle and IBM. So what is it all about?
DMN provides a standard framework for decision methodologies such as TDM and DTM and extensions into predictive models (and the compulsory Big Data reference occurs here!). TDM and DTM provide means of massively improving business logic requirements and the generation of decision services for both business processes and event-decision-action systems.
The main improvement from using decision methodologies is around improving the quality of development / reducing the need for rework. Their resulting decision services are architecturally neutral. They fit nicely into agile projects through timely production of business logic for implementations.
1- Introduction to DMN
2- Methodologies you can use with DMN (e.g. TDM, DTM)
3- Case studies using decision methodologies (e.g. TDM)
4- Discussion / Q&A
- Conference presentations on DMN: http://www.buildingbusinesscapability.com/presentations/2013/1301.pdf and http://www.slideshare.net/Decision-CAMP/decision-camp-2014-james-taylor-decision-management-101
- LinkedIn group for DMN: https://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=4225568 (requires membership approval since the long name of the group attracts the human kind of “models”!!!)
Tools announcing DMN support to date:
- Sparkling Logic
Paul Vincent is Principal Consultant at Isvana Ltd., which offers business development, product management and marketing, pre-sales and consulting. Specialist in decision modelling / business rules / event processing applications, technologies and standards.
- Decision models and business rules (including BaselIII and other regulatory compliance standards) and associated standards (including DMN)
- Business Analysis (BPMN and Decision Models)
- Project / IT Management (Agile)
- Product Management (including marketing support, training, pre-sales)