SRF - Emergencies on Trial
Aim of the course
The aim of Emergencies on Trial is to introduce participants to their role as a witness at a public inquiry and related proceedings and thereby enable them to give evidence clearly and coherently.
Key learning points are as follows:
- The role of Category 1 and Category 2 responders as witnesses in the adversarial and inquisitorial systems
- The importance of contemporaneous records and statements
- The procedures, order of events and roles of those in inquests, inquiries and courts
- Techniques lawyers use in questioning and how to handle them
- How to give clear, honest and objective evidence
- How to make appropriate use of supporting evidence, documents and notes when giving evidence
- How to give confident and clear testimony under difficult questioning
- How to prepare for giving evidence.
This course is aimed at Sussex Resilience Forum Partners who would undertake a role at Operational, Tactical or Strategic level including, but not limited to, emergency planners and on-call officers.