Actions and Detail Panel
Start Touch Typing in Just 1 Day - in London
Tue 4 April 2017, 09:00 – 17:30 BST
StarTouch helps you build a new typing habit, to replace your old style - without the struggle you might expect.
Benefits of touch typing:
- Type with more accuracy and at a flowing rapid pace
- Type with comfort with your eyes up
- Improve your general health with correct posture management
- Increase efficiency and ability to get more things done in a shorter space of time
StarTouch is different... very different.
The StarTouch programme is an exceedingly innovative & motivational alternative to the traditional approach to learning to type. It's the antidote to the mindless exercises so common in software courses & night classes, which (if you can 'go the distance') might eventually build the 'muscle memory' you need.
What's different is that we use brain friendly techniques to actually TRAIN the BRAIN & BODY rather than just TEACHING the HEAD. Think: learning to swing a golf club; play a piano; or sail a windsurfer. ...because typing is a physical human skill, not a set of instructions to memorise and refer to.
Our approach helps to short-cut drastically the overall time it takes the body to build familiarity with this important and actually quite straightforward skill. And it also makes the journey easier and much more enjoyable.
When is a 1-day course NOT a 1-day course?
The programme is kicked off by a power-packed & inspirational face-to-face 1-day workshop which covers everything you need to LEARN - in one surprising, entertaining and unexpectedly effective day.
It also introduces you to a carefully designed, phased approach to the PRACTICE, which is essential for consolidating and embedding your learning over the following days and weeks.
The programme is more than JUST the one day event. Our commitment continues until you've finished the implementation of your new habit.
The cost covers follow-up, online resources & practice apps, and virtually unlimited on-going email coaching from the trainer for each participant.
By the end of this active, interactive & stimulating learning event ...
- You will be practised at consciously sitting correctly, and holding your arms and hands in the best way to minimise muscle strain and the dangers of RSI, and to maximise your dexterity and ‘flow'
- You will be able to type all the alphabet keys & the main punctuation marks with a high degree of accuracy (with the correct fingering) and without looking down.
- You will be fully equipped to pursue a carefully structured practice regime, with determination and confidence after the training day - a regime which is designed to develop the facets of your new skill (such as speed & automation) which can ONLY develop over with frequent, repeated, accurate practice over a period of time.
If you pursue this practice regime with rigour & discipline, you can consolidate your skill in the shortest possible time after the course
- Understanding how people build new habits most effectively
- Ensuring the right balance between Accuracy and Speed
- Learning more about learning quickly & memorably
- Learning how to establish a strong “eyes-up” habit from the very start
- Establishing mental and physical ‘knowledge’ of which fingers type which letters/symbols.
- Learning the right movements to make with each finger to find each letter/symbol.
- Grasping how best to reinforce & embed the new skill in the days following the course.
- Training the body to make the correct connections increasingly quickly & effortlessly
- Adopting the correct posture at a keyboard - to optimise relaxation, alertness and mobility
- Adopting the correct hand/finger position on the keyboard
- Initial drilling the main movements, to start building accurate and precise Finger Control
- Familiarity with exercises & drills to be used after the launch workshop, to strengthen and consolidate the skill – participants will be able to touch type by this point: using correct fingering without looking down, but necessarily slowly!
- Understanding the value of practising (and best ways to achieve practice) 'offline' (ie away from pressure/work) until the new skill is strong: habitual, comfortable and fast.
- Further guidance on managing the practice regime, so each participant can make the most progress in the shortest time following the course, including use of inclusive practice resources and tools, and an invitation to stay in touch with trainer for on-going remote coaching and encouragement until the transition to full habit is complete!
“I'm amazed at how quickly I'm improving just by keeping the practices regular and consistent." - Mary Faulkner, NHS (Central & North West London)
"Thought provoking. Very likely to practise!" Evana Cook, Health Sector Administrator
Excellent energy and use of memory aids throughout. David Humphrey, Scientist