San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Are you interested in working as a translator or interpreter, but unsure how to start?
This one-day seminar should answer questions for new translators / interpreters on:
- Training & CPD
- Generalist or specialist translating & different types of interpreting
- Working with translation companies
- Working for the EU
- Breaking through the “no experience – no work” barrier
9.30 – 10.00 Registration Social Space, Ground Floor
10.00 – 10.05 Welcome
10.05 – 10.30 Working as a translator: freelance, in-house, generalist or specialist work?
10.30 – 10.55 Working as a public service interpreter
10.55 – 11.20 Pricing & financial aspects of being a translator/interpreter
11.20 – 11.50 Refreshment break
11.50 – 12.15 Sympathy for the devil – a glance at transcreation
12.15 – 12.45 Breaking through the “no experience–no work” barrier: pro bono work
12.45 – 13.15 Panel Question and Answer Session
13.15 – 14.15 Lunch (Bring your own lunch)
14.15 – 14.40 Marketing yourself as a freelance translator/interpreter
14.40 – 15.05 Careers in translation and interpreting at the EU
15.05 – 15.30 Working as an Interpreter
15.30 – 15.55 Working with translation companies
16.00 – 16.25 TBC
16.25 – 16.55 Panel Question & Answer Session
- Registration will take place from 9:30 am
- Please bring refreshments and snacks with you for the breaks.
- There are a number of sandwich and fast-food outlets including Pizza Express, Starbucks, M&S Food, Yo! Sushi, MacDonalds, Pret, KFC, Wetherspoons, ASK, Pizza Express, Tesco Express, Boots close to the University where food can be purchased in the lunch break.
- Nearest tube station is Oxford Circus, Goodge Street, Gt Portland Street.
- Throughout the day, our staff and student helpers will be on hand to offer directions and answer any questions you might have.
- Please, can you inform us if you have a disability so that we can make any necessary arrangements.
Any questions please click on the 'Contact the Organiser' button.
Save This Event
When & Where
Institute of Translation & Interpreting (ITI)