Course dates: Wednesday 16 November 9.30 - 3.00; Wednesday 23 November 9.30 - 3.00; Wednesday 11 January 9.30 - 12.00.
This two day and a half day course has been successfully delivered to 80 private, voluntary and independent sector nurseries in Derby City in the last 12 months. In our evaluation 100% of participation showed an increase in confidence in assessing and identifying children and providing strategies to support their speech sound development.
This course will enable early years practitioners and teachers to:
- Understand the difference between speech, language and communication.
- Understand the ages and stages of speech sound development.
- Develop skills to be able to classify delayed speech sound patterns.
- Understand the links between speech sound development, phonological awareness, phonological processing and phonics development.
- Develop skills to observe and assess children’s speech sounds using children they work with as examples.
- Discuss positive practice strategies to support children’s social and emotional development.
- Use Phase 1 of the Letters and Sounds programme to support children’s speech sound and phonics development.
- Know how to build in quality first teaching strategies and resources to support speech sound development in their planning
- Understand the range of interventions available and know when to use them.
- Be able to identify children needing referral to the NHS Speech and Language Therapy Service.
- Enable parents to support speech sound development at home.
Who will benefit from this programme?
This course is most effective for teachers, teaching assistants and early years practitioners working in the Foundation Stage.
What does the programme include?
- 2 days of high quality training from Specialist Speech and Language Therapists.
- Practical activities and introduction to a range of resources and pedagogical principles and models to try out with children you work with.
- A self-evaluation tool to audit your existing practice and identify development areas for improvement which can link with your own SEF.
- Handouts from presentations to enable you to cascade the training in your workplace.
- Opportunities to discuss children's needs with qualified Speech and Language Therapists.
- A half-day follow-up network meeting to share newly learned practice with colleagues and seek support for embedding the work in school with Clarity.
We are confident that you will be delighted by the impact this programme can have on your provision and the outcomes for your children.
To maximize learning and to receive a course certificate it is essential that learners attend all sessions of the programme.
If you have difficulty booking, would like to discuss this programme further or would like Clarity to deliver this to a staff group in your setting, please contact Jo Flanagan or Bibiana Wigley at email@example.com or call us on 01332 404265.