Symposium - An Expanded Concept of Art: New Perspectives on Joseph Beuys.
Main Lecture Theatre, Edinburgh College of Art, Main Building, 74 Lauriston Place, Edinburgh, EH3 9DF.
- 13:00-18:00: Academic sessions.
- 18:00-20:00: Drinks reception and guided tours of Strategy Get Arts locations,
Full programme information is avaiable via - Beuys Programme Abstracts and Speaker Information
An academic symposium in which six specialist speakers present recent art historical research on Joseph Beuys and his works. Paper titles and full programme to be announced.
The speakers will be:
- Christa-Maria Lerm Hayes. Professor of Modern and Contemporary Art History, University of Amsterdam. Until 2014 Professor of Iconology at the University of Ulster, Belfast. Has written and lectures extensively on Beuys and James Joyce.
- Peter van der Meijden. Project Researcher at the National Gallery of Denmark and an external lecturer at the University of Copenhagen. He wrote his Ph.D. on Fluxus and has since published and spoken widely about various aspects of Fluxus.
- Andrew Symons. Ph.D. candidate, Edinburgh College of Art (University of Edinburgh) and Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art (National Galleries of Scotland). Currently researching the Beuys drawings in the ARTIST ROOMS collection.
- Kirsten Claudia Voigt. Curator at the Kunsthalle Karlsruhe, art critic and journalist. Wrote her Ph.D. on Beuys’s ‘sculptural pictures’, teaches at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, and recently wrote a book on Beuys and Nietzsche.
- Victoria Walters. Associate Lecturer, University of the West of England, Bristol. Published Joseph Beuys and the Celtic Wor(l)d: a language of healing.
- Wolfgang Zumdick. Senior Lecturer at the Social Sculpture Research Unit, Oxford Brookes University. Writes extensively on Beuys and Social Sculpture.
Chaired by Dr. Christian Weikop, Chancellor’s Fellow in History of Modern and Contemporary German Art, Edinburgh College of Art.
Drinks reception and guided tours
There will be a drinks reception in the evening from 18:00-20:00 with optional 15-minute guided tours of some of the rooms where the ‘Strategy: Get Arts’ exhibition and performances were held in 1970. Tours by artist Alex Hamilton, who was a student helper at the exhibition. There will also be a slide show, a film and sound recordings of Beuys’s 1970 actions in Edinburgh.
Organised by the University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh College of Art in association with the National Galleries of Scotland, Gallery of Modern Art and supported by the Goethe-Institut, Glasgow.
All are welcome. Free but ticketed.
This event is organised to coincide with exhibitions on Joseph Beuys in Edinburgh in this, the thirtieth anniversary year of his death:
Joseph Beuys x 1000 at Summerhall until 30 September
Richard Demarco and Joseph Beuys: A Unique Partnership at the Gallery of Modern Art until 23 October
ARTIST ROOMS: Joseph Beuys – A Language of Drawing at the Gallery of Modern Art until 30 October