Actions and Detail Panel
Talk like TED in a Day! (23 February 2017)
Thu 23 February 2017, 09:30 – 16:30 GMT
Talk like TED in a day!
A workshop structured around the iconic TED Talks, the gold standard for public speaking. Learn a step-by-step method to inspire and motivate your audience over the course of a day. Master the art of storytelling, learn to paint strong visual imagery and understand how to get your audience behind your ideas, no matter how audacious or complex they seem. A fun and challenging masterclass for those who need to shock, wow and captivate!
This workshop will help you:
- Understand what an audience needs from you
- Engage and inspire a team to perform
- Understand your personal style and how to utilise it
- Show passion in your delivery as well as clear insight to your subject
- Combat nerves, speak up and get your ideas heard
- Learn how to express yourself by standing out and impressing your audience
- Analyse the difference between communication that sticks, and information that gets forgotten
- Deliver a persuasive and memorable TED style presentation from a clear nine-step method
Ultimately, this workshop will provide you with a toolbox to deliver compelling and influential messages to the people you need to motivate.
Managers at all levels, technical specialists, team leaders and graduates have all benefited from this tried-and-tested programme.
This one-day workshop focuses on analysing performance techniques and developing presenting skills, for any face-to-face communication, whether you are presenting to a large group, a team meeting or just a one-on-one conversation. It is a challenging yet rewarding day which participants say is hugely enjoyable! To allow sufficient time for all participants to get the benefit of one-to-one feedback from Susie on their presentations, we restrict the group size to 8 each time.
Susie Ashfield has worked as a voice-over artist for BBC, Sky, ITV1, Sony Pictures, Spotify and many more. Unusually, she used to combine this with working in the City as an insurance broker, managing a client body of high net worth and high profile clients in media television and film. She is now a full-time freelance trainer and coach, making the most of her unusual combination of acting skills and director-level business experience by specialising in helping people improve their presentation skills. Her clients include Unilever, BIG Lottery Fund, Ultra Electronics, Lloyds of London, The Wine Society, English Cricket Board, Lancashire Reinsurance, etc, etc.
1 What’s it all about?
- Exercise: Audience reaction in three words…
- Introduction to the spoken word
- Understanding the needs of the listener
- The currency of ideas
- Outlining your intention
2 Finding the story in complex content
- Motivating activity
- Analysing memorable messages
- How do you add value to your content?
- Exercise: The Six Principles of Sticky Ideas (Dan and Chip Heath)
- How do you teach something new?
3 Delivering jaw-dropping moments
- Systematic creativity
- How to effectively use statistics and data
- Deliver an emotionally charged experience
- Tactics that get results
- The ‘urban legends’ concept – what makes stories unforgettable? How elements of the unexpected take content from ordinary to extraordinary.
- The Toolbox: Hands, Volume, Pausing, Eye Contact, Expression
- Energy levels. What percentage are you at?
- What type of communicator are you?
- Which TED speakers are the most inspirational?
4 Combatting anxiety
- How to answer difficult questions
- Identifying challenging situations
- Controlling nervous energy
5 Making it personal
- Creating impact
- Analogies and metaphors
- Lighten up!!
- Keeping it simple
- Pictures and props
- Make an emotional investment
- Exercise: Personal anecdotes and memories
- The 9 steps to a TED Talk, including:
- Find the emotion
- Is it novel?
- Make it memorable
6 Action planning
- Exercise: Identify specific actions to enhance your presentation style
- Exercise: Personal action planning
£395 + VAT = £474
- All our events are very popular and places on this course are limited to 8.
- Please book (and pay) online using Eventbrite by clicking the 'Tickets' button at the top of this page.
- Please read ‘the small print’: We reserve the right to refuse admission if payment has not been received. A full refund will be made for cancellations received in writing at least 20 working days prior to the event date; there is no refund for cancellations made within 20 working days of the start of the event. We reserve the right to change the programme, the dates, the trainer or the venue: participants will be notified as soon as practicable in such circumstances. In the event that the event is cancelled, a full refund will be given. We disclaim any further liability.
- If you have a promotional code, please click on ‘Enter Promotional Code’ after clicking on 'Tickets'. (We regret that we cannot give discounts retrospectively).