Actions and Detail Panel
Tameside Hack - MENTORS SIGN UP
Tue, 21 Feb 2017, 09:00 – Wed, 22 Feb 2017, 16:00 GMT
Are you tech-savvy, keen to volunteer, and available to help young coders build innovative solutions to sponsor-set challenges over the February half term?
If so, you’re just the person we need for the Tameside Hack which takes place at the Advanced Technology Centre, Tameside College in Ashton-under-Lyne on Tuesday 21 and Wednesday 22 February, 2017, from 9:30am to 4.30pm.
The free two-day Hack, which has been organised as part of Tameside Council’s 16 for 2016 “Every Child a Coder” pledge, is a fun competition to test and challenge digital skills and creativity. It is aimed at 12-18 year olds.
Business sponsors will set challenges for the hackers and they will have 2 days to come up with a product or solution to fit the challenge brief.
As a Mentor you will be working with really talented young people who are thirsty to acquire new digital skills. Your role is to help them understand the challenges that have been set and assist in moving forward with their hack projects. A level of proficiency in programming may well be helpful here, but also important are skills around communication, project management and coaching.
As a mentor you will be asked to:
- Be available to attend at least one of the two days of the Hack
- Be willing to fulfil the role outline above
- Tell others about what you are doing on social media
As a mentor you will receive:
- Coverage in some of the promotional coverage / activities
- This is a really positive opportunity for staff development and corporate social responsibility for your business