San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
A taste of Tooting’s rich cultural heritage through a tour of local independent food businesses. Meet shop keepers, restaurant owners and food producers whilst tasting the flavours that make Tooting so culturally diverse and exciting.
Each tour is different, but stops may include a visit to:
• London’s most popular South Asian snack shop
• A traditional pie and mash shop with a story that's taken it to Broadway
• A grand grade II listed Victorian pub
• A forty-year-old grocery shop selling strange vegetables from around the world
• A producer of local organic gin
• A Pilipino sari-sari shop
• A local community farm growing teff
• A walk through the two famous markets of Tooting
A meeting point will be sent 24 hours before the tour starts, but will generally be around Tooting Bec/Broadway.
Save This Event
When & Where
Dipa Patel and Transition Town Tooting
Dipa Patel is a local resident and foodie who has grown up food shopping in Tooting with her grandmother and aunts from a young age. She has seen the area change over the years, and is passionate about retaining the unique cultural diversity that is so unique to the Tooting. She has lived in a number of different countries, and brings her knowledge in food and cultural cuisines to the tour as well as an insight into the history of immigration into the area and how it has influence the tastes of Tooting.
Transition Town Tooting is a community-led initiative that seeks to raise awareness locally of the effects of Climate Change, Peak Oil and the impact of human activities on the environment.