Actions and Detail Panel
Teach Computing - Programming for Key Stage 3, Leicester 28Mar17
Tue 28 March 2017, 09:00 – 15:00 BST
Teach Computing & Programming for Key Stage 3
- Introduction to teaching text-based programming with Python
- Engage & inspire your pupils in Key Stage 3
- A scheme of work suitable for Key Stage 3
Aims: This event will support teachers with the development of Computing in their schools. It will provide teachers with a hands-on practical experience demonstrating a range of teaching & learning strategies they can use in their own Computing lessons in KS3.
This course is ideally suited to those teachers who are in the process of converting to teaching Computing/Computer Science from another subject eg. ICT, Business Studies, Maths. The course will help with confidence building as well as approaches to engage and inspire classes into Computing and problem-soving.
The course is being led by award-winning CAS Master Teacher Alan O'Donohoe, who himself made the transition to teach Computing. Alan has 24 years teaching experience that include 5 years of recent experiences of teaching Computing and GCSE Computer Science in mainstream secondary school.
9:00 Welcome. Tea & Coffee. Group Discussion Activities.
9:30 Classroom Based Activity:
- Identifying the challenges of text-based programming
- Quickly build confidence in teachers to teach programming without fear
- Identify and develop pedagogical approaches to teaching Python to pupils
- Develop teacher competence and an understanding of Python’s strengths and limitations
- Provide teachers with a scheme of work suitable for use in their own school
- Inspire teachers to consider a range of approaches to teach programming
16:00 Followed by a free CPD session to help Teach GCSE Computing, until 18:00
Please note - Raspberry Pi computers will be provided for delegates to use, however delegates may prefer to bring a laptop with Python 3.x installed. In order to keep the course fees low, lunch is not included, but there are many options available locally for lunch. If you are interested in hosting this event for free at your school, please make contact.
There are other related CPD sessions that may be of interest at the same location, more information at http://exa.foundation/events or click on the links below:
- Tues 28th Mar 4pm - 6pm [details here] Prepare pupils for programming tasks (incl. NEAs for GCSE Computer Science) (Free to attend)
- Weds 29th Mar 9am - 3pm [details here] Teach GCSE Computer Science (£25-£95)