Actions and Detail Panel
Teach Computing - Programming Tasks & NEAs, Barnstaple 21Apr17
Fri 21 April 2017, 09:00 – 12:30 BST
Teach Computing GCSE - Prepare Pupils for Programming Tasks & NEAs
- How are you preparing your GCSE Computer Science students for the Non-Examined Assessment part of their course?
- How can you effectively teach children to problem solve, algorithm design and text-based programming?
- How do you differentiate your teaching so that your students can make rapid learning progress?
Aims: This event will support teachers with the development of GCSE Computer Science in their schools. It will provide teachers with an impactful practical experience demonstrating a range of teaching & learning strategies they can use in their own Computing lessons in KS3/KS4, but particularly useful for teaching GCSE Computer Science.
Some students really struggle to make rapid progress with the programming aspects of Computing, especially text-based programming. This event is intended to support teachers with the teaching of pupils who find problem solving, and text-based programming difficult as well as differentiation teaching to support a wide ability range.
9:00 Welcome. Tea & Coffee. Group Discussion Activities.
9:30 Classroom Based Activity:
- Identifying the challenges of text-based programming
- Modelling strategies to support less confident learners
- Developing students confidence with problem solving
- Using a text-based programming language to develop a solution
- Sharing solutions to benefit all learners
1pm Followed by a free CPD session to help Teach Computing, [details here] until 3:00pm
Please note - There are two other related CPD sessions at the same venue that may be of interest:
- Thurs 20th Apr 6pm - 8.30pm [details here] Family Hack Jam to engage & inspire digital makers. (Free to attend)
- Fri 21st Apr 1pm - 3pm [details here] to support teaching of theory for GCSE Computer Science in preparation for the exam worth 80% of terminal assessment. (Free to attend)