Actions and Detail Panel
Teach GCSE Computer Science, Leicester 29Mar17
Wed 29 March 2017, 09:00 – 15:00 BST
Teach GCSE Computer Science
Aims: This event will support teachers with the development of GCSE Computer Science in their schools. It will provide teachers with a wealth of resources, tips for success and hands-on practical experiences demonstrating a range of teaching & learning strategies they can use to achieve success with GCSE Computer Science.
This course is ideally suited to those teachers who have recently started teaching GCSE Computer Science, or those who will start teaching it this year.
The course is being led by award-winning CAS Master Teacher Alan O'Donohoe, who after 20 years teaching, made the transition to teach Computing. Alan has 5 years recent experience of teaching GCSE Computer Science.
9:00 Welcome. Tea & Coffee. Group Discussion Activities.
9:30 Classroom Based Activity:
- Enhance confidence in teachers to teach text-based programming at GCSE in preparation for NEAs
- Identify and develop pedagogical approaches to teaching text-based programming (Python) to pupils
- Inspire teachers to consider a range of approaches to teach programming
- Develop a deeper understanding of teaching GCSE computing coursework assignments
- Teaching the theory for the examined part of GCSE Computer Science
- Assessing, Tracking, Monitoring Progress & Intervention
- Preparing classes for examinations in GCSE Computer Science
Please note - Raspberry Pi computers will be provided for delegates to use, however delegates may prefer to bring a laptop with Python 3.x installed. In order to keep the course fees low, lunch is not included, but there are many options available locally for lunch. If you are interested in hosting this event for free at your school, please make contact.
There are other related CPD sessions that may be of interest at the same location, more information at http://exa.foundation/events or click on the links below:
Please note - There are two other related CPD sessions at the same venue that may be of interest:
- Tues 28th Mar 9am - 3pm [details here] Teach Computing & Programming for Key Stage 3 (£25-£95)
- Tues 28th Mar 4pm - 6pm [details here] Prepare pupils for programming tasks (incl. NEAs for GCSE Computer Science) (Free to attend)