Actions and Detail Panel
TEF and Us Webinar
Thu 15 December 2016, 12:30 – 13:30 GMT
Led by Ian Welch, Assistant Director, QAA. Ian is currently working in liaison with HEFCE in development and delivery of year two of the TEF, including:
- The development of TEF year two alongside core team.
- Briefing internal audience and external audience - providers and stakeholders
- Training - TEF officer colleagues, Assessors and Panel members
The Webinar will seek to enable participants to understand how personal tutoring and academic advising - an area of key concern to the CRA community - can impact on TEF. It will explore this relationship and draw on the outcomes of previous QAA reviews to look at how good practice in the field of personal tutoring and academic advising can impact on the core metrics which are a principal source of information for a TEF award.
Four of the current six core metrics refer to Academic support data, Non continuation data, Employment/further study data and Highly skilled employment/ further study data, generated by NSS, HESA and DLHE respectively.
These core metrics are directly related to personal tutoring and academic advising either directly (Academic support) or less directly (Non continuation, Employment/further study and Highly skilled employment/further study).
The Webinar will look at:
- Appropriate TEF metrics
- The link between personal tutoring and academic advising on these metrics
- The link between good practice identified in reviews and metrics data
It will offer participants to share what they do to inform improvement against the metrics, particularly with regard to student progression.
Equally importantly, the webinar will not offer:
- A detailed explanation of the use of metrics in TEF assessment.
- A process for improving TEF metrics and thereby TEF outcome.