Jo Johnson MP, UK Minister of State for Universities and Science, has asked UUK to convene a series of regional workshops with HE providers in order to discuss the design of the discipline-level Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), which will be piloted during 2017—18.
Workshops will be designed in conjunction with the Department for Education and will consider pedagogical and practical challenges to assessing excellence at a granular level while minimising cost and burden; outcomes from these events are intended to provide options for the design of discipline-level pilots. Questions that the DfE are keen to explore are:
- What should the interaction be between subject level and provider level assessment?
- Whether and how additional metrics and/or evidence (e.g. from PSRBs) should be used?
- How many panels are needed and what could their remit be?
- How can widening participation goals be supported?
- How should subjects be defined and grouped?
Places will be allocated on a first come-first serve basis with space for approximately 15 participants at each event.