For 2017, we’ll be offering both long (120km) and short (88km) routes again. The shorter version of the route has a bit less climbing but still features the fantastic scenery and many of the route highlights.
With mile after mile of spectacular scenery, some of the best road cycling terrain in Scotland, and the inclusion of the famous Talla Wall climb, our route is truly a classic. It’s a fantastic day out on the bike!
Starting in the Borders town of Peebles, the ‘Touro’ route will travel mainly over quiet back roads, and climb several stiff hills along the way. Challenging but rewarding, the routes (short and long) will feature some amazing natural scenery – what better way to take your mind off your efforts than by enjoying this beautiful part of Scotland!
We’re confident this is the best value-for-money closed road sportive in the country, and it’s 100% organised by local riders.
So what do you get for your money?
– A fantastic closed road ride including some of the UK’s best cycling country and awesome scenery
– Great feed stations on the route with a variety of locally-made treats, including some fantastic cake and Forsyth’s famous macaroni pies
– The best electronic chip timing system, results texted to you soon after finish
– Official souvenir for all finishers
– Mechanical support before and during the event
– Comprehensive first aid and safety provision around the course
– Water and toilet stops where you’ll most likely need them (we’re riders too!)
– A sweeper vehicle and tech/service support will be on course
All riders start in waves, leaving between 6.30am and 7.30am approx (start waves times will be sent out with riders notes prior to the event).
- You must sign on the day before the ride to receive your timing chip UNLESS you have booked the additional postal delivery service
- Start times to be confirmed. Riders leave in waves based on their estimated finish time – faster riders first
- All riders have timing chips. All riders’ times are logged and available at the finish. All results will be posted on event website asap after the event, and individual results texted to their phone soon after they finish.
- All riders will be issued with a personal number board and wristband. Number boards must be attached to handlebars and must be readable throughout the event. Wristbands MUST be worn throughout the event for safety reasons. Riders not wearing their wristbands may be asked to leave the course.
There are two options for registration again for 2017:
- Registration in person
- Advance postal registration (additional £10)
Option 1 – Registration in person
Riders must register on Saturday 2nd September 2017, the day before the event (as in previous years) on Peebles Tweed Green EH45 8AP between 10am and 7pm. Riders cannot register on the morning of the event. To allow same day registration would mean we’d have to start registering people at about 1am in the morning on the Sunday – it’s just not feasible and would mean an impossibly early start for riders (and us). If you are unable to register in person yourself on Saturday 2 September, someone else can collect your rider pack for you on your behalf – they must bring a printed copy of your confirmation email, and also be able to confirm that your contact and emergency contact details are correct, and sign on your behalf.
Option 2 – Advance postal registration
Advance postal registration is an additional £10, and will only be available for riders who enter who enter by the cut off date (3rd July 2017) – no rider packs can be sent out for riders who register after this date. This is to allow your personalised number board and timing chip to be prepared in advance. (NB; If you have registered for postal entry, the final date for refunds is Friday 21 July 2017. After this date, no refunds for postal entries will be available as your personalised pack will already have been produced and sent to you.)
*Rider packs will be sent Royal Mail Signed For Second Class, which requires a signature so will provide proof of delivery. Packs will be sent out at the end of July 2017. All riders should receive their packs by Monday 7th August 2017 – if you have not received your pack by this date, you MUST contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday 18th August 2017.
A reminder will be sent to you by email to check you’ve got everything!
We will track your pack online, and check if it has been signed for. If it has NOT BEEN SIGNED FOR, we will arrange for a new rider pack to be available for you to collect at registration on Sunday EARLY MORNING before the event starts.
If you have not received your pack but do not contact us by Friday 18th August 2017 there will be a charge of £15 for a new pack at registration (early Sunday morning).
DON’T LOSE OR FORGET YOUR PACK!
If you do, there will also be a charge of £15 for a replacement. Your name will not appear on replacement numberboards.
Saturday 2nd September – Registration
On Saturday 6th August parking will be on street and in existing car parks in Peebles
Sunday 3rd September – Event Day
There will be a specific event car park – the car park is situated east of Peebles off the A72, and will be clearly signposted.
In addition, there are existing car parks in Peebles that will be open on the day. Please note Kingsmeadows Road car park will be closed on event day.