“Our ambition remains that all schools should benefit from the freedom and autonomy that academy status brings. Our focus, however, is on building capacity in the system and encouraging schools to convert voluntarily.” – Justine Greening, Education Secretary
In October 2016, the Government formally dropped its plans to force every school in England to become an academy by 2020. New Education Secretary Justine Greening remains committed to academisation but focus has now shifted towards improving underperforming schools and re-introducing academic selection. Where does this leave the Government’s flagship academy school policy?
- Les Walton CBE, Chair, Northern Education Trust
- Sir David Carter, National Schools Commissioner, Department for Education
- Dawn Boyes, Business Director, Keswick School and Associate Practitioner, National Association of School Business Management (NASBM)
- Martin Shevill, Joint CEO, Consilium Academies Trust and FASNA Board Member
- Geoff Stevenson, School Partnerships Associate Director, Ambition School Leadership
- Councillor Gillian (London Borough of Havering), Deputy Chair of the Children and Young People Board, Local Government Association
Despite some high profile success stories, most notably in London, a 2015 select committee report suggested that the academies policy has had no overall impact on standards. MPs also raised concerns over inconsistent management by academy sponsors resulting in stark disparities in education standards.
Join us for The Academies Event 2017 for unique insights into the major developments in the education sector and what the future holds for existing academies and schools considering converting to academy status.
What you'll gain:
- Gain a full understanding of the successes and failures of the academies policy so far
- Anticipate what the future will hold for academies and schools considering applying for academy status
- Analyse the impact of the potential re-introduction of selection in state schools
- Identify the opportunities presented by multi academy trusts and how sharing resources can boost efficiency
- Understand the challenges facing those tasked with monitoring the quality of academy schools