Actions and Detail Panel
The African Concept of Self - Nubian Power to Heal & Transform
Sat 20 May 2017, 09:30 – 17:00 BST
This interactive workshop is facilitated by Dr Erica Mapule McInnis (Afrikan Centred Chartered Clinical Psychologist; Association of Black Psychologists, Abpsi, professional member). It uses the best of African psychology to understand experiences of black people (people of African ancestry). This is to promote well-being and healing. This workshop is open to all.
The day includes practical activities as well as teaching of African psychology concepts. It also includes Mind Body Spirit work from Nai Davina (Certified Afrikan Yoga Teacher) and poetry from Linford Sweeney (Afrikan Centred History Educator).
Aims of the day:
* To equip delegates with an understanding of the paradigm of African Centred Psychology (black psychology) for working with adults, children, and families.
* To provide delegates with appropriate knowledge and skills in the African concept of self (which applies in particular to members of the African diaspora)
* For people of the African diaspora, to increase knowledge and understanding of yourself.
* To increase awareness, knowledge and understanding of issues when working with people who are African Caribbean, African or dual heritage.
* To raise awareness of strategies for self improvement, resilience building, healing and operating from a higher sense of self.
* To raise awareness of culturally-related needs and strengths
* To increase ability to be effective across cultures from increased knowledge of self.
This workshop is suitable for all.
* People of Afrikan origin with an interest in improving emotional well-being
* Those working with individually multi-generationally oppressed
* Counsellors, Healers, Psychologists, Psychotherapists, Speech and language therapists, Psychiatrists
* Health, Criminal Justice System, Social Care practitioners
* Teachers and Teaching assistants
* Family support workers, Learning mentors, Support workers, Community workers
* Students etc.
Book soon to avoid disappointment, as only a limited number of places are available. Lunch and refreshments are included. Handouts/ course materials are provided. A full reference list will be provided to delegates. Certificates of attendance will be given on the day.
The venue is City Centre Manchester 4 minutes walk from the main train station (Manchester Piccadilly Train Station), 5 minutes walk from the main coach station (Manchester Coach Station, Chorlton Street) and 4 minutes walk from the Manchester Piccadilly Bus Station. We suggest use of public transport, however limited car parking is available on site and ample Car Parking at the Argent Piccadilly Place Car Park located 2 minutes walk from the hotel. A 15% discount on car parking at that particular car park can be applied at the Hotel Guest Services desk on production of your ticket.
Unfortunately, no refunds for places booked can be issued after 6 May 2017.