The Best TLS Training in the World
Designed by the author of the much acclaimed Bulletproof SSL and TLS, this practical SSL training course will teach you how to deploy secure servers and encrypted web applications during a day packed with theory and practical work. We’ll focus on what you need in your daily work to deliver best security, availability and performance. And you will learn how to get an A+ on SSL Labs!
The course is taught in small classes.
Why This Course is for You
- Understand threats and attacks against encryption
- Identify real risks that apply to your systems
- Deploy servers with strong private keys and valid certificates
- Deploy TLS configurations with strong encryption and forward secrecy
- Understand higher-level attacks against web applications
- Use the latest defence technologies, such as HSTS, CSP, and HPKP
This course is for system administrators, developers, and IT security professionals, who want to learn how to protect their systems from eavesdropping and impersonation attacks.
Duration: 1 day
Extras: Lunch and refreshments included
About a month prior to the course we'll send you a digital copy of Bulletproof SSL and TLS, our comprehensive guide to SSL/TLS and Internet PKI. You'll get the paper copy on the day. We'll also give you a bunch of exercises and a hardcopy of the slides.
- Basic Linux command line skills: moving about, invoking commands, editing configuration files.
- A laptop with a SSH client, which you will only need to connect to your assigned virtual server.
- You should be comfortable using a Unix editor.
We'll provide you with your own virtual server and a sample web application to work on throughout the course.
a. The need for network encryption
b. Understanding encrypted communication
c. The role of public key infrastructure (PKI)
d. SSL/TLS and Internet PKI threat model
2. Keys and certificates
a. RSA and ECDSA: selecting the right key algorithm and size
b. Certificate hostnames and lifetime
c. Practical work:
i. Private key generation
ii. Certificate Signing Request (CSR) generation
iii. Self-signed certificates
iv. Obtaining valid certificates from Let’s Encrypt
d. Sidebar: Revocation
3. Protocols and cipher suites
a. Protocol security
b. Key exchange strength
c. Forward security
d. Cipher suite configuration
e. Practical work
i. Secure web server configuration
ii. Server testing using SSL Labs
f. Sidebar: Server Name indication (SNI)
g. Sidebar: Performance considerations
4. HTTPS topics
a. Man-in-the-middle attacks
b. Mixed content
c. Cookie security
d. CRIME: Information leakage via compression
e. HTTP Strict Transport Security
f. Content Security Policy
g. HTTP Public Key Pinning
h. Practical work:
i. Deploying HSTS to deploy robust encryption
ii. Deploying CSP to deal with mixed content
5. Putting it all together: Getting an A+ in SSL Labs
We will also provide you with many additional exercises that you can work on in your own time. You'll be able to ask us for help via email. And if you're already familiar with the basics, we'll challenge you with some of the advanced exercises on the day.
Meet the Author
Ivan Ristić is a security researcher, engineer, and author, known especially for his contributions to the web application firewall field and development of ModSecurity, an open source web application firewall, and for his SSL/TLS and PKI research, tools and guides published on the SSL Labs web site.
He is the author of three books, Apache Security, ModSecurity Handbook, and Bulletproof SSL and TLS, which he publishes via Feisty Duck, his own platform for continuous writing and publishing. Ivan is an active participant in the security community and you'll often find him speaking at security conferences such as Black Hat, RSA, OWASP AppSec, and others. He is currently working on his next venture.
Terms and Conditions
Please note that by ordering this course you acknowledge acceptance of Feisty Duck's Terms and Conditions.
Where can I contact the organiser with any questions?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the event.
What is the refund policy?
Any cancellation by you must be made by emailing email@example.com.
You may cancel or reschedule a course subject to the following charges:
- Cancellation or reschedule with more than 60 days’ notice prior to course start date – no charge
- Cancellation or reschedule with 31-60 days’ notice prior to course start date - 50% of the course fee
- Cancellation or reschedule with less than 30 days’ notice prior to course start date - 100% of the course fee
Can't make this date? Tickets sold out? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to be notified about the future dates.