Everybody loves a good, juicy murder. So it's little wonder crime fiction is one of the UK's bestselling literary genres. Whether your tastes tend toward the gritty Jack Reacher procedural or the witty Father Brown whimsical, over the course of a weekend, acclaimed novelists William Ryan and M R Hall, joined by Literary Agent David Headley, will give an intensive and entertaining overview of the building blocks of crime fiction. And whether you're an absolute beginner or a much more experienced writer, this course will be of real value. From understanding the types of fiction agents, publishers and readers are looking for to giving practical and incisive help with your plotting and characterisation, through a series of lectures and workshops, you'll learn how to drive your novel forward without giving everything away - and while keeping your readers gripped. You'll leave the course with a step-by-step guide to developing your crime novel, and invaluable feedback from three professionals at the top of their game on how to continue.
Outline of sessions
- What makes crime fiction tick
- The crime fiction market
- Introduction to plotting
- Technical aspects of crime writing
- Developing subsidiary characters and conflict
- How to create an original central charater
- Writing good dialogue
- What agents are looking for
- The three act structure
- Workshops on Plotting, Characterisation and Dialogue
This course is for you if...
- You're a beginner who wishes to learn about the conventions of plotting, character construction and how to build tension in crime novels
- You're an experienced author looking for insight into what publishers – and readers – of crime fiction are looking for
- You're a fiction author outside the crime scene who wishes to learn more about the literary mechanics of mystery and suspense
When & Where
Welcome to Guardian masterclasses – a unique programme of learning embedded within one of the world's most forward-thinking media organisations.
Masterclasses offer a broad range of short and long courses across a variety of disciplines from creative writing, journalism, photography and design, film and digital media, music and cultural appreciation.
Harnessing the expertise and specialisms within the organisation, our courses are led by first class and award winning guardian professionals whilst also drawing on the skills and expertise of other leading figures at the forefront of the creative and digital industries.
The programme is aimed at anyone interested in personal or professional development whether that be refining your skills, focusing your ambition or simply broadening your mind and gaining inspiration.