Actions and Detail Panel
The Future of the Public Services Network
Thu 9 March 2017, 14:00 – 16:30 GMT
Sales Have Ended
Sales Have Ended
It is 10 years since the plan to create the PSN was launched and thousands of connections have been installed. Before we get into the next multi-million pound refresh of all these networks we must reconsider how the public sector’s digital infrastructure will best meet the challenges of the next decade.
A panel of informed commentators and leaders from across government and industry will discuss and debate the lessons of the PSN, look at how we can maintain a vibrant market place and share their ideas for the future of government digital infrastructure.
Come and put your point of view and your questions to the panel in a ‘BBC Question Time’ format.
The chairman and facilitator will set out the agenda for the session, introduce the panel and the ground rules for the session.
PSN in Context
A GDS speaker will discuss the PSN Vision and the Reality and address teh following questions -
- what did we set out to achieve?
- what does PSN deliver for the public sector?
- the 'current state of the nation'
- today’s challenges and criticisms
- why is it time for a change?
What lessons can we learn from the successes and failures of the PSN
The Need for Change
A speaker from LGA will address the question "What are the key challenges facing our public services over the next 10 years and to what degree can digital infrastructure transform the way the public sector operates?"
Meet the panel members over a coffee
Contrasting models for new digital government infrastructure
Speakers to be confirmed to discuss - "What technology models now exist to support the creation of a new public sector digital infrastructure? Questions to be considered include:
- Is it ok for organisations to create their own infrastructure strategies?
- Do we need an architecture and set of guidelines that will ensure that the public sector can interconnect and share?
- Will the internet/mobile networks replace the need for the PSN altogether?
- What can we learn from the UK Financial market?
- What does cloud mean for Networks?
- What does good look like now and in the future?
- What is the opportunity for new SMB entrants?
Panel and audience discussion:
Is it time for a major rethink or are we fine as we are?