Actions and Detail Panel
The Future Photonics Hub Industry Day
Tue 13 September 2016, 09:00 – 18:00 BST
Sales Have Ended
Sales Have Ended
Please note: registration for the Industry Day conference is now closed. Exhibition-only passes are still available until midday 12 September 2016 - these include access to the exhibition, tea and coffee; talks from the conference will also be live streamed into the exhibition space throughout the day.
The Future Photonics Hub is an EPSRC Future Manufacturing Research Hub led by the Universities of Southampton and Sheffield. The Hub is tackling the challenge of enhancing photonics integration across four major technology platforms: light generation & delivery, high-performance silica fibres, silicon photonics and the manufacturing of 2D & metamaterials.
The Hub's inaugural industry day will be held on Tuesday 13th September at the University of Southampton. We are delighted to announce Dr Andrew Rickman OBE, CEO and Chairman of Rockley Photonics, as our keynote speaker who will be presenting on the translation of academic research into industry.
As a delegate, you will also enjoy a packed technical programme and exhibition with cleanroom tours and opportunities for one-to-one meetings with key Hub researchers, as well as being the first to find out about our new Innovation Fund launching on the day.
The Future Photonics Hub Industry Day is free to attend but registration is required using the online booking form available from this page (closes Wednesday 31st August 2016).
Outline programme (further details to be updated on this page):
- 09:00-09:30 Registration and refreshments
- 09:30-09:45 Welcome, Professor Sir David Payne, University of Southampton (Director, The Future Photonics Hub)
- 09:45-10:30 Keynote and photonics industry update. Keynote speaker: Dr Andrew Rickman OBE, CEO and Chairman, Rockley Photonics. Industry update: Dr John Lincoln, CEO Photonics Leadership Group and Industrial Liaison Manager, The Future Photonics Hub.
- 10:30-10:50 Exhibition and refreshments
- 10:50-12:30 Session 1: Mid-IR and III-V Sources, chaired by Prof Jon Heffernan, University of Sheffield (Co-Director, The Future Photonics Hub)
- 12:30-14:30 Lunch, exhibition, poster session and optional activities including:
- 13:00-14:20 Speed-networking with key Hub researchers and Business Development Team (pre-book appointments for 10 minute mini-meetings during your online registration).
- 13:00-14:00 Careers in photonics panel (organised by the Optics and Photonics Society) - opportunity for PhD students in photonics and related disciplines to hear from industry representatives
- 13:30-14:30 Cleanroom and lab tours - guided tours of the University of Southampton's £120M cleanroom complex and application development laboratories in lasers, telecomms and metamaterials
- 14:30-14:50 Hub Innovation Fund launch - we present our new Innovation Fund open to RCUK-eligible research groups to support research projects relevant to future photonics manufacturing.
- 14:50-16:30 Session 2: 2D Materials and Metamaterials, chaired by Prof Gilberto Brambilla, University of Southampton (Co-Director and Mangaer, The Future Photonics Hub)
- 16:30-16:45 Closing remarks, Prof Jon Heffernan, University of Sheffield (Co-Director, The Future Photonics Hub)
- 16:45-18:00 Drinks reception and poster session with prize-giving
Please ensure you register your place in advance, using the link on this page. All registered delegates will receive full joining instructions within good time of the event.
If you are interested in opportunities to exhibit at the Future Photonics Hub Industry Day, please visit the exhibition website: www.xmarkmedia.com/futurephotonicshub/