Actions and Detail Panel
The Honey Harvest
Sat, 15 Jul 2017, 10:00 – Sun, 16 Jul 2017, 17:00 BST
Saturday 10:00 - 17:00 & Sunday 10:00 - 17:00
The Honey Harvest has now become a regular anual fixture of life at Walworth Garden and it has proved to be extremely popular as it provides a rare opportunity for city-dwellers to connect with a seasonal activity which has been practiced by people all over the world for thousands of years!
Being sure to leave sufficient honey for the bees to feed on over Winter, the Honey Harvest will include:
An introductory talk to explain something about:
- Lifecycle of the individual bee
- Lifecycle of the honeybee colony
- Bee cooperation and communication
- Requirements of the honeybee colony
- Beekeeping as a collaboration between beekeeper and honeybee
- Opening the hives to separate the bees from some of their honey
- Uncapping the wax honeycomb
- Spinning out the honey using manual extractors
- Jaring and labelling the honey for sale at Walworth Garden.
Neither previous experience nor special equipment is necessary although it would be a good idea to bring footwear / and socks that cover feet and ankles as the bee-suits won't.
The Honey Harvest is spread over two days in late July to provide fun and relaxed activity for those who want to participate.
Places are FREE* for Southwark residents, everyone is welcome and charges of up to £50 may apply to non-Southwark residents.
If you book with us and pay in full then you will receive £5 off. Just use the code PAYNOW16 when selecting your ticket type.