Only a few years ago, Gareth Unwin was a struggling film maker,
working on low budget films and shorts as a first assistant director. And on Feb 27th, he picked up the Oscar for Best Film, as producer of ‘The Kings Speech’.
His journey from penniless film maker to being the hottest producer in Hollywood is both extraordinary and inspirational, and he is going to share it with YOU.
June 3rd, Regents College, Regents Park, 7.30pm
TICKETS are £10
Venue, Regents College, Regents Park
Date Friday June 3rd, 7.00pm kick off
Gareth’s first big film came a few years back when he produced ‘EXAM’ for Stuart Hazeldine. You may recall we ran a Script To Screen event for this taught thriller which I also worked on as a producer. At the time, Gareth mentioned that he was working on a historical drama. Little did I know that script was the Kings Speech and his journey would lead him all the way to collecting the Oscar and BAFTA.
What will you will get from the event?
- Insight into the key steps Gareth took in order to go from first AD on short films, to ‘The Kings Speech’ and the Oscars
- How do you develop the Oscar worthy screenplay?
- Staying attached - how does a producer with so few credits steer such a huge project?
- Navigating Hollywood, how do you make the most of LA as a Brit?
- Packaging – how do you put the script, director, cast and financing together?
- The future? What does he think you should be doing in 2011?
Gareth is a genuinely down to earth bloke. Charming, unassuming and
candid. Speaking with him will inspire you to aim higher and work
harder, to strive for excellence in your craft.
And remember, only a few short years ago, he would have been sat in the audience.
When & Where
How To Make A Film
From the offices of The London Screenwriters' Festival and the desk of Guerilla Filmmaker Chris Jones. We have been making films and teaching filmmakers since the early nineties, with oscar shortlisted films under our belt, a string of features theatrically releases as well as headline events like TEDxEaling and The Guerilla Filmmakers Masterclass.