Actions and Detail Panel
The Original Willow Tea Rooms Building Restoration talk
Wed 26 April 2017, 18:00 – 20:00 BST
Miss Cranston’s original Willow Tea Rooms at 217 Sauchiehall Street were designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh in 1903, the only tea room where he was in control of the exterior and the interior.
The Willow Tea Rooms Trust purchased the building in July 2014 and is currently restoring the tea room and incorporating a visitor exhibition and education centre.
Simpson & Brown Architects are working with the Trust to restore 217 Sauchiehall Street and create the visitors and education centre in the adjacent building at 215. The project combines old with the new, contrasting the original splendour of the Mackintosh designed tea room with the modern interior of the new exhibition space. The Tea Rooms will be restored to how Mackintosh intended when they were opened in 1903, including over 400 pieces of furniture.
Jean Sinclair, Trust Operations Manager, will provide information about the trust and the project.
John Sanders, a Partner at Simpson & Brown since 1999, will discuss the project. His role at Simpson & Brown includes maintaining standards of historical research, conservation approach and architectural design.
The ticket price includes a glass of wine.