Actions and Detail Panel
The Value of Wood Forum
Tue 21 March 2017, 15:00 – 19:00 CET
Revolve Media has the great pleasure to invite you to its first Value of Wood Forum, hosted by S&D MEP Paul Brannen, so mark your calendars for March 21!
This day, we celebrate the first day of spring but not only that, March 21 is also the International Day of Forests and the day of our Value of Wood Forum with which we kick off the #ForestCityProject 2017, a public information campaign to encourage citizens to reconnect with nature.
Join us for two panel discussions and keynote speeches on the topic of wood and its importance for the bio-economy and a more sustainable future. The event will be followed by a cocktail.
15:00 – 19:00 Tuesday 21 March
The Residence Palace
Rue de la Loi 155
1048 Bruxelles, Belgique
15:00 Opening speeches
Mr. Simon Kay, Senior Expert, Land Use and Finance for innovation, DG CLIMA, contextualizing LULUCF legislation within forest-based solutions for the bio-economy and jobs.
15:30 Panel 1: Towards Sustainable Architecture & Construction
How can timber, wood-based products and other bio-based materials add value to the durability of buildings and the resilience of cities while bringing down CO2 emissions? How to make our urban fabric more sustainable?
Presented and moderated by S&D MEP Paul Brannen:
- Andrew Waugh, co-founder of WaughThistleton Architects firm: timber in architecture
- Sampsa Auvinen, EOS President and CEO of Norvik Timber Industries: on building with wood
- Gerard Deroubaix, Director of the Environment department in the French research centre FCBA: Reducing CO2 in building using wood products
- Justin Daerden, President of the EFBWW Standing Committee Wood/Furniture/Forestry
16:30 Keynote speech by Per-Olof Wedin, President of EUSTAFOR, on how forests are boosting the bioeconomy
16:45 Panel 2: Forests boost Innovation and the Bio-economy
The bio-economy is central to combating climate change and safeguarding ecosystems. What services, technologies and industries in the forest-based sector are boosting the bio-economy? How is the bio-economy advancing the triple bottom-line of sustainability for society, environment, business?
Presented and moderated by EPP MEP Henna Virkunnen:
- Thorsten Arndt, Head of Communications, PEFC International
- Patrick Worms, Senior Science Policy Advisor, World Agroforestry Centre
- Johan Elvnert, Managing Director, Forest-based Sector Technology Platform (FTP)
- Fanny-Pomme Langue, Public Affairs Director, European Biomass Association (AEBIOM)
- Alberto Arroyo, Senior Policy Manager, European Affairs Office, IUCN
17:45 Closing remarks by Mr. Jeremy Wall, Principal Administrator, Forest-based & Related Industries, DG GROW, on the forest-based bioeconomy and EU sustainable growth
18:00 Cocktail Reception