Aim: To increase line manager competency and confidence in managing time off work. This briefing covers the following topics:
Time off for dependants
Explains the right to take time off for dependants and guides line managers on dealing with employees who take time off under this right.
Focuses on the laws on holiday entitlement and holiday pay and how they have been interpreted by the courts and tribunals.
- To understand the definition of dependants
- To have an awareness about the circumstances in which employees make take time off for dependants
- To appreciate the legal position regarding the frequency of, length of, eligibility for and rights during time off
- To be familiar with procedure
- To raise awareness about adopting the correct approach to time off and supporting employees on their return to work
- To understand statutory and contractual entitlement to annual leave
- To be familiar with holiday pay
- To be aware of the rules on the taking of annual leave
- To encourage best practice for organising holiday
- To explore how to avoid discrimination
- To have an understanding of holiday entitlement on termination of employment
Relevant to: Employers, line managers, supervisors and anyone who performs supervisory or human resources related functions within their role.