Tour of Coade Ltd and of the Italianate Church of St. Mary and St. Nicholas in Wilton
Sold Out
Tour of Coade Ltd and of the Italianate Church of St. Mary and St. Nicholas in Wilton

Tour of Coade Ltd and of the Italianate Church of St. Mary and St. Nicholas...

Event Information

Share this event
Date and Time
Location
Location

Meeting at South Street Car Park

Coade Ltd, South Street, and St Mary and St Nicholas Parish Church, West Street, Wilton

United Kingdom

View Map

Event description

Description

Coade stone was first developed in the 18th Century by Eleanor Coade, who was employed by every eminent architect of her day and whose work is found all over Great Britain and around the world. The lost formula was ‘re-discovered’ by Mr Stephen Pettifer of Coade Ltd who has assembled a team of highly skilled craftsman recreating classical sculpture and contemporary pieces for private commissions. Created from stoneware using a secret recipe and then fired at a very high heat, Coade stone makes it possible to produce sculpture of the finest detail and durability, with the appearance of stone. Stephen will lead us on a fascinating tour of the studio and works in progress.

Grade I listed St Mary and St Nicholas Church was built between 1841 and 1844 at the instigation of the Countess Alexina Sophia Gallot of Pembroke and her younger son, Baron Sidney Herbert of Lea. Designed by the architect Thomas Hardy Wyatt in the Romanesque style it contains considerable Byzantine influences. Some of the more notable features are the 105 ft campanile and a wealth of imported materials, including 12th and 13th C stained glass from France. We will be guided by church warden Mr Robin Hall.

The picture used here is by Wilton Town FC (wiltontownfc.co.uk)


Share with friends
Date and Time
Location

Meeting at South Street Car Park

Coade Ltd, South Street, and St Mary and St Nicholas Parish Church, West Street, Wilton

United Kingdom

View Map

Save This Event

Event Saved