Archives+ and Central Library staff will be presenting tours of the new Central Library and Town Hall extension facilities. This will include the Archives+ interactive exhibition and the refurbished historic reading room. A treat not to be missed. Places are limited and booking is essential.
Tickets are free and will need to be shown for access to the tour. To contact us and for more information about Archives+ visit our website http://archivesplus.org
A showcase for the region's archive and family history
Manchester Central Library now includes Archives+ - a wonderful, purpose-built showcase and repository for the region's archive and family history. The Archives+ partnership builds on the appetite and demand for accessible community history and personal heritage. This one-stop-shop makes it easier than ever before to find what you're looking for. The main partners in Archives+ are:
• Greater Manchester County Record Office (Association of Greater Manchester Authorities)
• Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives (Manchester City Council)
• North West Film Archive (Manchester Metropolitan University)
• Ahmed Iqbal Ullah Race Relations Resource Centre and Education Trust (The University of Manchester)
• Manchester & Lancashire Family History Society
• BFI Mediatheque
• Manchester Registration Service (Historic Registers)
Displays and exhibitions explore the rich collections to tell the stories of Manchester’s people and communities. You'll find all the local and family history resources you're used to, from books, maps and original materials to self-service digitised items and online resources like ancestry.com.
Archives+ brings history to life using interactive exhibits, sound and vision. Its focus is on telling stories and helping us to identify with our past. Our history isn't just about the great and the good, it's about personal testimony from ordinary people: a child in the cotton mill, the navvy, the land girl.