This is a series of TWILIGHT SESSION FOR GOVERNORS delivered by RGA Training
ALL SESSIONS ARE 6PM-8.30PM HELD AT ST BERNARDS PRIMARY SCHOOL, SHERBOURNE ROAD ELLESMERE PORT CH65 5EW
Sessions are as follows:
SESSION 1 Refresher and Hot Topics - 17.10.16
This course will be particularly useful for governors with more than 12 months experience who either were not able to attend an induction course or want to brush up on the basics now they have greater experience to apply what they learn. The course will cover the three core roles of governors and how governing bodies fulfil their key responsibilities, including an overview of current government and Ofsted expectations on Governing Bodies. The session will ensure governors are up to date with current issues including Ofsted expectations, changes to assessment and government policy in the light of the White paper 'Educational Excellence Everywhere'.
SESSION 2 The Governor's Role in Monitoring: Knowing my school and bringing challenge - 10.11.16
Governors and Trustees will develop their understanding of the role of governors in monitoring the school and bringing effective challenge to school leaders including:
- monitoring teaching and learning without getting operational.
- monitoring the budget and ensuring value for money
- monitoring the impact of pupil premium spending
- what is challenge and how can we bring it in a supportive way?
SESSION 3 The Governor's Role in Ensuring Clarity of Vision, Ethos and Strategic Direction - 15.03.17
A session that considers what vision, ethos and strategic direction are and includes:
- how governors and trustees can work with school leaders to set the vision and monitor its effectiveness.
- how the board can ensure it is strategic - what this means and looks like
SESSION 4 Effective Governance - 8.5.17
A session focussing on best practice in governance including:
- governor recruitment and retention
- effective meetings
- the role of self-evaluation
- codes of conduct
- ensuring accountability to stakeholders
- succession planning